Story and photo by Jesse Muñoz/COC Sports Information Director
College of the Canyons emerged with a 5-4 road victory in its first Western State Conference (WSC) match on Thursday, this time getting past host Santa Monica College to win its fourth straight match.
Canyons (4-0, 1-0) had to come from behind, however, with the Corsairs (1-1, 1-1) winning the first two doubles matches. The combination of Jennifer Russell and Celeste Hernandez was the only COC doubles team to win.
Santa Monica also won the No. 1 and No. 2 singles matches before the Lady Cougars were able to turn the tide.
After losing the first set 3-6, MacAdam, who was playing in the No. 4 spot, battled back to win the next 6-2 and force a deciding third set. The former Trinity Classical Academy standout finished the match with a 6-2 win in the third set which proved to be the difference.
Canyons will look to keep its streak intact on Saturday, Feb. 8 vs. Porterville College. First serve is scheduled for 10 a.m. from the Cougar Courts.
Full match results are included below:
1. Stanisavljevic/MacAdam (COC) loses to Mayo/Gulati (SMC) — 2-8
2. Villarta/Cohen (COC) loses to Ivens/Brandis (SMC) — 3-8
3. Russell/Hernandez (COC) defeats Billingsley/Josefsson (SMC) — 8-1
1. Una Stanisavljevic (COC) loses to Savaughna Mayo (SMC) — 6-1, 6-3
2. Nicole Villarta (COC) loses to Kiara Gulati (SMC) —7-6, 6-2
3. Taylor Cohen (COC) defeats Sophie Ivens (SMC) — 6-3, 6-3
Stay up to date on all this season's action by following the College of the Canyons Athletic department on social media at @COCathletics on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.